Apr 30 2010

What are You Doing This Weekend???

My wife and I are celebrating our 17th Anniversary tomorrow! What do you have going on this weekend???
Tags:
Categories:
Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (64) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS
Apr 30 2010

Eating out tips!

AMERICA’S WORST SEAFOOD SALAD!

This week the editors of Men’s Health released a list the worst seafood dishes in America.  I was shocked to read that a field of greens salad with sautéed salmon from California Pizza Kitchen clocked in at 1,227 calories, landing at #7 of “AMERICA’S WORST SEAFOOD DISHES.”  This is yet another example that you have to be very watchful of what you order at a restaurant because even the most healthy sounding dishes can be secret calorie bombs!  Click here to watch Christine Avanti on NBC News weighing on “America’s worst seafood dishes.” [link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W-qNbQghcY]

Salmon salad? If that isn't healthy than what is?

Christine Avanti’s Eating Out Tips

1. Avoid ordering salads as a meal.  A side salad with a small amount of dressing is fantastic.  However, restaurant salads that are designed as a meal are usually loaded with hidden calories from dressings, cheeses, and fried meats.  Make your “meal salads” at home!

2. Scan the entrée section of the menu for grilled, baked or roasted meat dishes that are free of sauces.   For example the “Herb crusted Salmon” at Cheesecake factory is a healthy choice.  You should split it with a friend because they give a 10 ounce portion.  Additionally, they serve it with mashed potatoes in which case I recommend requesting a substitute of brown rice (168 calories per serving) or baked potato (161 calories per serving).

3. Order sparkling water, unsweetened iced tea or ice water with a twist of citrus instead of soda, juice, or alcohol.  Doing this will save you 100-300 calories!

For more information on what to order at restaurants check out the Fast Food Nutrition Guide from Nutritionist Christine Avanti.

Tags:
Categories:
Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (0) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS
Apr 29 2010

Surprise!!! How have you surprised someone???

Well my wife Totally Surprised me for our Anniversary and my birthday! Yesterday, she had to use my car, and while she had it... She put new tires and rims on, and then had it detailed! Have someone surprised you??? Have you surprised someone???
Tags:
Categories:
Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (146) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS
Ever gotten a really bad sunburn?
Jun 14 2011

Ever gotten a really bad sunburn?

The FDA has established new guidelines for sunscreen and it got us thinking about the bad sunburns of our past! Ever gotten a really bad sunburn? Tell us about it!

Tags:
Categories:
Actions: Permalink | Tell A Friend! | Comments (31) | RSS comment feed Comment RSS

Comments (31) -

6/14/2011 2:50:59 PM
Kathy United States
Kathy
I think I was 17 years old and went camping with my family in LA.  I got SO sunburn I remember swimming in a shirt AND a cowboy hat. My nose and lips swelled double the size. Angeline Joline had NOTHING on me!! It was bad!!!
6/14/2011 3:21:27 PM
kelly United States
kelly
I was pregnant and layed out in the sun too long.  My legs and back were burnt so bad that it looked like bruises.  I was miserable for 2-weeks.  I was told it was probably sun poisoning. I was so glad my son was okay, he is 21 now.
6/14/2011 4:09:40 PM
Marcia United States
Marcia
I'm 13 and I am sitting here at this moment peeling like crazy!! Last weekend, we went swimming and I forgot sunblock. I told myself "I'll be okay"
Um..NOT!! Very painful. The bad thing is I did it 2 before in the last year. Thats really bad!! Frown
6/14/2011 4:10:48 PM
Terri Deane United States
Terri Deane
I don't remembwer my worst sunburn, but I think it was a cloudy day uin the school pool.  Bad burn.  BUT, I learned about Babyoil & Iodine mix.  I am fair skinned and lived in Denver for a short period and it worked for me.  Greasy but good.
6/14/2011 4:11:33 PM
Kathy United States
Kathy
No one knows how bad a sun burn can be until they are allergic to the sun! I try to be very, very careful but occasionally it happens not only does the sun burn hurt but I get hives with it! So imagine the usual pain but with very itchy, itchy hives!!
6/14/2011 4:14:08 PM
Amanda United States
Amanda
The first time I went snowboarding I didn't think to put sun screen on. After a full day out on the slopes, I went back to my hotel room and discovered my face was literally as red as a tomato! Of course I couldn't feel myself getting burned until AFTER the damage was done. A couple days later I was making a simple facial expression and actually felt the skin on my forehead crack! I always put sun block on when I'm at the beach or even in my yard. Now, I will NEVER forget to put in on when I'm going to be in the snow!
6/14/2011 4:14:43 PM
Steve United States
Steve
I would like to thank you for pointing out the importance of sunscreen.  My wife just completed 1.5 years worth of biotherapy treatments for melanoma.  It is a horrible disease and the treatment is horrible too!  It grows fast and spread faster.  It is extremely important to point out getting a severe sunburn as a child significantly increases your risk and it doesn't matter what your complection is, you can still get it (although at a lower risk).  Also, you can get it in your eyes, so sunglasses are important too!  Cases have increased significantly (30% we were told) due to ozone depletion.  I didn't know how serious it was until it happened to our family, so thank you for the awareness!
6/14/2011 4:22:47 PM
Haleigh United States
Haleigh
I got a really bad sunburn the day before my cousin's wedding! I had gone out to the pool to read, and I hadn't put any sunscreen on. I was a bridesmaid in the wedding, and of course my dress was strapless! I looked like a lobster walking down the aisle!
6/14/2011 4:31:09 PM
Sharon Abiuso United States
Sharon Abiuso
I was in the Bahamas with my husband snorkeling
when we got the worst sun-burn ever. we were so bad that we had gotten in a ice bath and as soon as we got in all the ice melted. That and when we put Aloe-Vera on our backs it literally cacked.
6/14/2011 4:41:25 PM
Juliana United States
Juliana
I got a sunburn in flordia the sun was blazing and i said well i dont need sunscreen i got sunburn
6/14/2011 5:14:04 PM
Josh United States
Josh
Okay I'm only 17 but last year at church camp I did put sunscreen on, but later got a sunburn.  Come to find out a day or so later(while still at camp) that I had a second degree sun burn.  I stayed at camp for the remaining few days, and borrowed a lot of my friends aloe gel to sooth the burn.  But I ended up thanking her so much because I don't know how much sleep i could have gotten laying on burnt shoulders.  The only down part to that was, I had to give the bottle back.  But second degree burn or not I would never take that week back it was an awesome experience to go to camp at the first time.
6/14/2011 5:27:36 PM
Kristin United States
Kristin
Just last summer I had received a real bad sunburn on my back. I had sun poisoning, and it peeled and peeled and hurt, nothing really helped, in the beginning to ese the pain. To this day,there is spots on my back of where it was the worst, and it is all new skin...believe I learned my lesson....it was a hard lesson to learn, but i guess sometimes that's what it takes.
6/14/2011 5:37:51 PM
Steven United States
Steven
When I was 16, I went skiing in Colorado. After a full day of skiing, I realized that I had forgot to put on sunscreen. The result was an awful combination of a sunburn and a windburn. The pain was so bad that I was forced to go to the doctor. There, I was informed that I had second degree burns on my face!

Needless to say, I don't forget sunscreen now.
6/14/2011 5:59:16 PM
Yvonne United States
Yvonne
I took my kids to the beach and poured sunblock all over them, i was sitting under an umbrella so I didn't use any. My legs were out in the sun. I was sunburned so bad I had large blisters on both my shins,I had to crawl everywhere because the skin on my legs was so tight it would crack and bleed. The hospital gave me cream to put on it. I havnt been back to the beach since Smile
6/14/2011 7:20:34 PM
Karen United States
Karen
So I worked a car wash with my church youth group and it was a long but cloudy day. We were on the wet placktop from like 9-4 and made a good bit of money. The trouble, of course, didn't set in til we got home and in out of the sun. So Monday morning came and the only thing I could wear, due to my severe sunburn/borderline sun poison, was a tank top. School did not allow it so my Mom had to call the office and get special permission. I had to see the principal first for approval. WELL, he came in with a buttondown and tie on. But it was not buttoned all the way and the tie was so loose I don't think it touched him anywhere. His neck was redder than mine. He had the nerve to say, nexct time wear a sweatshirt. I had to laugh.. he needed to practice what he was preaching!!!!
6/14/2011 7:35:06 PM
Tammy United States
Tammy
I've gotten really bad sunburns nearly every year but the worst I had was years ago when I could not even walk or move and my skin was fire red and swollen. I used yogurt to cool it and it actually helped to heal it. I looked like a lobster with special sauce!

I am a bit smarter now and dont use intensifiers without sunscreen however medicines make me more sensitive to sunburns so I have to really watch it now and at least I use a 4 to an 8# sunscreen. Smile
6/14/2011 10:31:07 PM
Cambria United States
Cambria
I was just remembering an occasion in the 70's when the highest SFP value was a "5" and thought to be enough.  We were grateful to have the valued green bottle labeled "Ski and Sea". Unfortunately what we "saw" was red. It during a summer ski vacation in Bull Frog, Ca. that my poor family became crispy critters, especially my mom. She was literaly red on every square inch of her exposed skin. I attach a picture but, she would kill me.
6/15/2011 2:41:18 PM
Marina United States
Marina
I got so burned one time that I had blisters all over my arms and neck.. Let me tell you, sleeping is not fun for at least a week.
6/15/2011 3:43:00 PM
Melisa Legerski-Aguilar United States
Melisa Legerski-Aguilar
I was about 5 and my sister was about 7 and we wanted to get a "tan" so we asked our Mom what we could use and she told us "use butter so you can be my butterballs" joking around.  Well we didn't realize she was joking and we did it.  Boy were we CRISPY!!!!!  This was early 80's when the tube top sundresses were popular so needless to say we were crispy everywhere but the bottom. Thank God for my Dad who had us lay on the kitchen floor and he drenched us in vinegar, which works really really fast! Stinks but works! I won't doubt it if we end up with skin cancer from all those years of tanning being a sign of being "healthy"
6/15/2011 4:05:11 PM
Tammy Sanchez United States
Tammy Sanchez
I stayed over at a friends during a school day once and we laid out in the sun all day.  My mom forbid me to wear two piece bathing suits so I wore one that day and put baby oil all over my body which my friend suggested.  I was so burned and had to hide it from my mom, I would stand in front of the fan to cool off my skin, and was a track runner, so when I sweat, it would bead up with sweat because the skin was dead and had no way of escaping.  it was so painful and I definitely learned a lesson.
6/15/2011 4:32:34 PM
Sharon Bowman United States
Sharon Bowman
One time, when I was in my early twenties back in the late seventies, early eighties before we got "real" sunscreen, my sister-in-law and I went to the beach and we used the "baby oil" everyone has been talking about. We both fell asleep laying on our stomachs. My back and legs were so burnt! I lived in a two-story apartment and I had to walk up the stairs backwards so I wouldn't have to bend my legs so much cause it hurt!! The one thing that really helped though, my mother-in-law had grown some aloe vera and we cut open the plant leaves and put the gel on us. It really did work wonders!! I wish I knew then what I know now about the Sun and our wonderful "base tans" we were so intent to get!!
6/15/2011 5:18:10 PM
Vicki Drechsler United States
Vicki  Drechsler
I was in my early 20's, with 5 other nurses and  on my 1st cruise. We stopped to go snorkling at a port of call and I paniced in the water so was not allowed to go with the group. So, I stayed behind and played on the beach. Later that night my skin was the color of a boiled lobster. When I put lotion on my fried skin I could litteraly feel my skin suck in the moisture it desperately needed. The good thing is that is was the best tan I have ever had; (in the middle of January).
6/15/2011 5:18:40 PM
DAKlumpp United States
DAKlumpp
Last summer I went to a water park in Denver, and being wise to this sunburn thing, I put on the SPF 50.  I was fully protected.  However, I spent the next 7 hours going down water slides on my back.  Little by little the sunscreen was worn off. By the end of the day, my back was lobster colored.  I had to sleep on my side and stomach for more than a week.
6/15/2011 5:40:21 PM
Mary United States
Mary
Worst sunburn I ever got in my life was over 30 years ago on a beach in Pennsacola Florida.  Spent all day on the beach - couldn't sleep.  Crawled to the bathroom the next morning with my clothes in my mouth because I couldn't stand up or walk!  Flew home to O'Hare and my dad had to go get the car from the garage and pick us up out front - I couldn't walk long enough to even get to the car.  Spent several days in bed.  But, when I was finally ok again - I didn't recognize myself in the mirror.  My hair was bleached nearly white and I was literally dark brown!  Course it only lasted a few short days and I must have peeled off 10 layers of skin.  Definitely not worth it!
6/16/2011 2:15:11 AM
Kerry Primeau United States
Kerry Primeau
I was 6 and we were playing in the sand all day at the beach.  Even though my Mom kept lathering us up in Coppertone, it did not do the trick.  When I came in to shower we realized that I was so burned that we couldn't pull the suit down over my chubby legs...so they had to cut it off...ugh!
6/16/2011 10:17:20 AM
Mark Kenny United States
Mark Kenny
I was 21 and I first came out to the Oregon coast through the Coast Guard. I went to the beach with a shipmate in Seaside, Oregon one overcast afternoon and played in the surf for four hours. We got out of the water and I started feeling prickly on my back and decided to head back to the ship. After a couple of hours I was in a lot of pain. I finally got a shipmate to put a jar of Noxema on my back and it sucked all up into my skin. I went to bed that night and woke up the next morning shiverring and my teeth chattering. My ryes were all pussy and my sheet was stuck to my back from broken blisters during the night on my back and shoulders. I had to cook that morning and if I didn't I could have gotten in trouble for getting a sunburn. It took me a 1/2 hour to get my shirt on because when I raised my arm, the skin on my shoulders would wrinkle and put pressure on the blisters. That was the longest day of my life.
6/16/2011 12:56:12 PM
Patricia United States
Patricia
Oh. I have a sunburn now. I went swimming -forgot sunblock- then 2 or 3 days later went and mowed a huge lot -without subscreen! So I have like a double burn! But it is turning to a tan.Smile
6/18/2011 4:57:18 PM
Carlene United States
Carlene
I went to two different schools in HS because I went to a vo-tech. The vo-tech was out for the summer and my HS wasn't, so I went to a friends house after I was done with my classes. She had a pool in her back yard, and it was right after Memorial day so I didn't think I needed sun block. We went swimming from 11am until 3, and then we decided to lay out to get some more tan.  That was a big mistake.  I ended up being red as a lobster, my skin was so red it was almost purple.  I did end up blistering.  That wasn't the worst, I was in a youth group and we had to go away the following weekend.  The group is known for having formal gowns for different people and we couldn't choose the gown.  Well the gowns were distributed and the gown had major fitted sleeves, when I saw that I didn't put it all the way on.  Then my group was the last one to go and show what the gowns looked like on us.  That was the last time I ever did that.
6/18/2011 7:33:24 PM
Donna Gallentine United States
Donna Gallentine
I have had several really bad sun burns over the years, but the worst was probably in the 80's when we went to Virginia Beach Camping with the kids.
Went to the beach, used sun screen, but obviously did not reapply frequently enough.  I turned bright red, got sick to my stomach and blistered the next day.
My skin hurt so bad that evening that everything that touched my skin caused excrutiating pain. Even getting a little sun for the next 3 days was painful.  Getting in the pool at the camp ground in the evening after the sun went down was about the only relief I got.  Tried no to repeat that again.
6/19/2011 2:33:31 PM
Rebecca United States
Rebecca
Oh, yes, have I gotten a bad sunburn!!!! Several years ago, my family and I went to a beach in Virgina. I had put sunscreen on, but it wore off, and yeah... the sunburn really hurt. OUCH! >:O
6/20/2011 4:32:38 PM
Hannah United States
Hannah
I have never burned easily but oh my gosh my brother has I'm tan like my mom and dad but my brother is WHITE like my uncle last year (he's now 8 and I'm 12)anyway last year my dad forgot to sunscreen my little brother and oh my goodness the poor little guy he got sun poisoning! he had bubbles on his shoulders and they would pop and the hole thing was a little gross he felt awful he couldn't put a shirt on or get in bed he stayed in a chair for weeks and my mom would stay with him.Well he's much better now but still WHITE,by the way my mom almost killed my dad.